Dara Kelly, an Afro-Brazilian dance facilitator based in Galway, will provide dance workshops to children and their grown ups in the Campêlo Method of Afro-Brazilian dance.
The workshops will allow the children and adults to grow and express themselves in the areas of:
- Kinetic awareness: where is my body in space and how do I control it?
- Coordination: developing motor skills via purposeful movement.
- Rhythm & timing: listening to music, finding the beat, clapping, stepping, jumping, pausing etc.
- Exploring directions & levels: moving left & right, in front & behind, up & down, turns.
- Spatial awareness: using floorspace available & how to leave space for others.
- Health: physical fitness, endorphins & stress release for mental health.
- Cooperation: dancing in a group, working together.
- Representation: exposure to African diaspora culture.
They will also provide the children with a safe environment to experience community, be creative, relieve stress and enjoy movement.
Parents and adult family members will be involved in rehearsals and a performance session in December in Castlegar.
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.