July 20th, 2019 will be the 50th anniversary of the first moon landing. It was and still is a significant moment in the history of space exploration. This will be a globally celebrated event. Sligo Libraries held two workshop telling the story of Apollo 11 via a presentation and a drawing session.
The workshop will begin with a 25-minute presentation about the Apollo 11 Moon Landing. An Apollo 11 drawing session will then start with tuition, encouragement and suggestions. Each child will produce an A3 (16X12 inch) pastel drawing of an aspect of the mission.
- One of the learning outcomes will be that children attending will learn and forever know where Apollo 11 landed.
- They will be able to look up at the moon, point to the exact place and name the landing area where men from Earth walked for the first time 50 years ago.
- The children will also get the experience of using soft pastels with tuition.
- The children will become familiar with the A 7-L pressure suit and the bravery of the men that wore it and survived on the moon.
- The technology of the Apollo 11 Saturn V rocket will be explained
- Irish connections to Apollo 11 are featured
- Encouragement for the children to perhaps work in the space business within Ireland will be mentioned.
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.