The project will allow the expertise of a local creative industry to be shared with a group of the most marginalised young people in the community. These are children and teenagers living in International Protection accommodation in the Athlone area. Giving young people the opportunity to engage with animation will be an empowering experience, opening up a new avenue for self expression. It is a form of filmmaking which offers an immense amount of creative freedom, in which the filmmaker can create an entire film alone if they choose, limited only by their imagination in terms of the content. This will be a rare chance to work through the process of creating an animated film in the company of professional filmmakers.
The screening of the films at various film festivals, in particular, Youth film festivals, will also be a very encouraging and confidence building part of the experience, creating the opportunity for participants to connect with other young filmmakers from around the country.
- April - recruit project team and source workshop area
- May - recruit participants
- Early June - introductory animation workshops - two days
- Mid June - animation filmmaking workshop - five days
- Late June - Post production work- five days
- September - December - Participation in Youth film festivals as they happen
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.