Creative Monaghan will be supporting this new unique creative collaborative project with renowned composer Michael Gallen. This project will explore through creative arts the idea of ‘borders’ and will engage local communities with artists in different aspects of the project.
Ways of Disappearing is a ground-breaking new opera-film project which sets a creative retelling of the myth of Orpheus’ descent into the underworld against the backdrop of the Irish North/South border during the Troubles. Merging nuanced characterisation and stark drama with operatic magical realism, this film draws out a narrative of secrecy and betrayal through the curious, imaginative eyes of a child who wanders from home in search for his ’disappeared’ older brother.
Timeline for project is as follows:
- 2021/2022- composition/creation of script/score
- May 2023 - developmental workshops in Castleblayney, County Monaghan
- Summer/Autumn 2023 - conclusion of writing/storyboarding/composition
- Winter 2023/Spring 2024 - filming and postproduction
- Spring/Summer 2024 - submission to festivals/distribution channels
- Summer/Autumn 2024 - festival release
- Winter 2024 - general release
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.