The project is exploration of history and heritage of the area of Allenwood Community Development Association CLG, also known as ACDAL, formed in 1994, following the closure of the Bord Na Mona ESB Generation Station.
Allenwood station was designed to use sod peat fuel produced on the adjoining bogs at Timahoe, Co Kildare. Construction of the station began in February 1949, and the first generating set was put into commission in January 1952. The second set was commissioned in September 1952. The boiler plant comprised four units, each having a normal output of 125,000 pounds of steam per hour. The generating plant comprised two 20,000 kW steam turbo-alternator sets of normal axial-flow type.
At its peak in the 1970s and 1980s, the average annual output of the station was 190 million units; the capacity of the peat store was about 30,000 tons; and the consumption of peat was 260,000 tons a year. Allenwood station was demolished in 1994.
The aim of the collaboration between the visual artist Marta Golubowska and community groups in Allenwood is to create a mosaic of ceramic tiles to be installed at the newly built playground in the area. The research part of the project evolves around the collaboration with a group of specialists in discussion of History and legacy of ADCAL, Ecosystems, The Just Transition in West Kildare,
Climate Change & Green Energy.
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.