The fifteenth century Franciscan Friary is undoubtedly the centrepiece of Quin. It stands beside the River Rine and can be viewed from most parts of the village.
Held in affection by locals, it became the genesis of the village when Thomas de Clare built his castle in 1278. Later, its rebuild by the Mac Namara’s established it as a friary in 1433. It now enjoys visitors from many parts of the world, checking in on Irish culture, history and heritage.
The members of the local Quin Heritage Group have been acutely aware that the story of Quin Friary is not readily available to either locals or visitors. Its many wonderful features and artefacts are not as familiar as they should be.
To this end, our members have devised a video that attempts to share the story of Quin Friary in a short virtual tour (twelve minutes),while pointing out some of the main architectural features of the building.
This video can be downloaded using this link on the Quin Heritage site: Quin Friary Tour
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.