1st Jun 2021
to 1st Nov 2021
Ballyshannon’s Creative Public Realm
The Mall (An Mál) in Ballyshannon displays a mix of eighteenth-century and nineteenth-century buildings and some of earlier origins. It was the main thoroughfare linking the once-thriving port of Ballyshannon with the Diamond and the Main Street. The termini of The Mall are punctuated by the Mall Quay at one end and the entrance to Main Street and The Diamond (of Plantation origin) at the other end.
This project will enhance aspects of the public realm of The Mall using traditional building, craft and artistic skills. Traditional hand-painted and ‘ghost’ signage will be enhanced by a traditional signwriter, a mural will be created on a traditional lime-rendered gable, window displays will provide meanwhile uses for shop windows and make use of the skills of a carpenter and interior designer, and ventilation units will be artistically painted.
The importance of The Mall as a thoroughfare is alluded to by poet and former resident William Allingham (1824-1889) in his poem ‘Adieu to Belashanny’ (also known as ‘The Emigrant’s Adieu to Ballyshannon’ and ‘The Winding Banks of Erne’) as he recalls “No more on pleasant evenings we’ll saunter down The Mall.” Paralleling The Mall is The Back Mall that forms a circuitous route between the town centre and the Mall Quay popular with residents out for a walk and tourists out exploring.
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.