Cork Midsummer Festival programmed an afternoon from 2pm until 5pm in Douglas Community Park.
A special stage courtesy of the Caravan Club Extravaganza to platform and showcase works by different groups of young people:
- Storytelling and reading sessions courtesy of Douglas Libraries with a pop-up library space and interactive Lightbox installation by Cork Community Artlink
- Printmaking workshops from Cork Printmakers
- Headdress workshops from Cork Migrant Centre
- Visual arts workshops from artist Nicole Flanagan
- Locomotion Play Universe from Festijeux
- Circus workshops from The Circus Factory
With a reference to local history and sail making mills, there were a series of painted sails displayed by schoolchildren from St Luke’s National School and Educate Together Secondary School. Artist Jane Hayes worked with St Luke’s National School resulting in 5 decorated sails which were installed across the Douglas Community Park trees. The Educate Together Sail was part of a collaborative project with UCC, and The Glucksman with artists Claire Coughlan and Helen O’Keefe in relation to designing their future city.
- Irish dancers from Carol O’Mahony School of Irish Dance
- Performance of Queen tracks from Montfort College Choir
- Traditional Irish Session from local young people led by Music Generation
- Specially developed rap and hip hop performance by young people from The Kabin Studios
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.