Cuimhneamh an Chláir / Clare Memories is a digital archive of oral heritage gathered through a series of interviews with Clare's older citizens.
The stories are gathered by trained volunteers known as ’Cuairteóirí’, who visit people in their communities to make the recordings. The project is in homage to the old tradition of ‘going on cuaird’; a practice which centres on respectful listening to and conversation with the elders of a community.
Cuimhneamh an Chláir also host a series of public events to share the archive with the public. These events are designed to encourage people to engage with oral heritage in creative ways and to allow it to inform their sense of identity, history and culture.
The vision of Cuimhneamh an Chláir is to ‘connect communities and nurture creativity through Clare’s shared oral heritage’.
Some events planned as part of the 2023 public programme:
- Audio visual exhibition of old crafts and skills (in collaboration with ‘Our Common Knowledge’) for the Rekindle Festival in Ennistymon
- Community sharing night of oral histories newly recorded in the communities of Doolin and Moher
- Oral histories of the Old Forge in Kilnamona and skills demonstration
- Celebrations of National Heritage Group Mentoring Scheme, initiated by Cuimhneamh an Chláir in 2023
- Public event marking ‘Reminiscence Circles’ scheme with selected Co. Clare Day Centres
Please note that the details of events listed above are provided by the relevant Local Authorities.