Monaghan Murals is a project devised by Creative Monaghan to develop a series of international-standard large-scale street murals across the county's towns. It forms part of a wider strategy to support creativity in the community, promote pride of place and diversity of experience.
Inspired in part by the growth in mural and street art throughout the country and their inherent value in driving positive change, Monaghan Murals will be rolled out over a three-year period.
The project will celebrate various aspects of local history, heritage, and culture with the following benefits:
- Enhanced visual appearance of each townscape
- Instil community pride of place
- Support community development and engagement through arts practice
- Provide artists with meaningful opportunity
- Support the development of the arts
- Increase tourist footfall for murals experience throughout the county
A core feature of Monaghan Murals is its commitment to community engagement with each participating artist delivering workshops using the murals as a catalyst for discussion and further exploration. In doing so we intend to inspire people in our local community to reflect on the diversity and richness of our culture and explore their own creativity and expression. The team will work with community groups throughout the county to achieve this goal.
The first mural was delivered in Castleblayney and celebrates the street photography of Dr JJ Clarke.